Sunday, June 24, 2012

Christopher Reid's sheep

I went to the first show that Katy Evans-Bush writes about here. In fact, those are photos she took with my iPhone. Christopher Reid's variations on the form of "Baa, baa, black sheep" inspired me to write one for him. His didn't have titles of their own; mine does:

READ REID

Hey there Christopher,
have you any verses?
Yes sir, yes sir, 
three good curses.
One for Abel,
and one for Cain,
and one for the evil twin
who lives in my brain.

It's a cool form to play with. Similarly, I occasionally write poems whose stanzas have a form I call the "wheelbarrow," after "The Red Wheelbarrow," which is actually quite structured: three words in one line, one line in the next, new stanza, repeat:


so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

There's a visual pun here, too, in that the three-one structure makes each couplet look a bit like a wheelbarrow.

No comments: